Working with a customer that has SBS 2008 and upgraded a local computer to Windows 10. We discovered that we could not RDP into that workstation either locally using “mstsc” nor remotely using Remote Web Workplace (RWW).
Turns out the fix is very easy.
By default, Windows 10 has Remote Desktop turned off in the firewall settings for the local workstation.
Here’s how to fix it:
- Open up Control Panel and go to System & Security –> Windows Firewall
- Click on “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” option located in the left frame
- Click on the Change settings button
- If you do not have administrator access to this workstation, you will be prompted to enter an administrator username and password
- Scroll down and locate Remote Desktop. Click on the box to select it, and then click on the appropriate boxes under the Domain and Private columns.
- Click OK.
- I suggest you then run gpupdate /force from a command prompt, first on the server, and then from the workstation. For the workstation, you may be prompted to logout to apply the update.