I recently migrated a customer from SBS 2008/Exchange 2007 to Office 365 with AppRiver and BitTitan’s MigrationWiz tool.
Migration went like a charm … that is, until one of the employees tried to “scan to email” a document from their Ricoh Aficio MP C2500.
A quick search of forums suggested that a lot of people had been down this road before, and with a myriad of possible ways to configure or fix it. Quite often, the suggestion was to use a 3rd party SMTP service.
I submitted a ticket to AppRiver’s support at 11:57am this morning and received a phone call from their tech support within 15 minutes. A quick remote connect session, and we had everything working within minutes.
Here are my notes for future reference:
First, the solution we followed
- We used information from this Microsoft TechNet Article
- How to setup a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365
- Scroll down to Option 3: Configure a connector to send mail using Office 365 SMTP relay
Second, gather the following information
- Your public IP address to your office. You can use WhatIsMyIp.com if you don’t know it)
- Your Office 365 MX record. It should look something like this: Contoso-com.mail.protection.outlook.com
Next, setup the Exchange connector within Office 365
- Login to your O365 Admin Center portal (http://portal.office.com)
- Click Exchange –> Mail Flow –> Connectors
- Create a new connector with this information
- Enter a name for your connector, such as “Ricoh Copier On Prem”
- From: select Your Organization’s Email Server
- To: select Office 365
- Description: enter something like this: This is the connector that will allow traffic from the SMTP services for Ricoh
- Enable the option Retain Internal Exchange Email Headers
- IP Address: enter your public IP address
Next, let’s go to the Ricoh web portal to finish things up:
- Go to your Ricoh’s web portal (local IP address, such as 192.168.1.xxx)
- Click to login as the administrator.
If you don’t know the login/password, here’s a web site that may help you:
- Click Configuration => E-mail (under Device Settings)
- Enter the following information as appropriate:
- Your Admin O365 email address
- Protocol: SMTP
- SMTP Server Name: your O365 MX name you looked up previously
(such as Contoso-com.mail.protection.outlook.com)
- Port: 25
- SMTP Authentication: OFF
- SMTP Authentication Email/Username/Password: your O365 Admin email address
- SMTP Authentication Encryption: DISABLE
That’s all we did. Hope it works for you!